Saturday, November 14, 2009

Obama expected to name envoy to combat global anti-Semitism

http://www.politico.com/blogs/laurarozen/1109/Obama_expected_to_name_global_antisemitism_monitor_envoy.html


President Barack Obama is expected to announce his special envoy to monitor and combat global anti-Semitism shortly, Jewish community activists say.

We're told that the candidate is female, with Chicago connections and a lawyer or activist background, and that State was ready to announce her this week and is awaiting White House clearance to do so.

Members of the UJC/Jewish Federations of North America who met with Obama on Monday said they anticipated the announcement even Tuesday.

George W. Bush's envoy, Dr. Gregg Rickman, left the job when the Obama administration came into office in January.

We're waiting to hear back from a few people before floating names.

UPDATE: A top candidate seems to be Hannah Rosenthal, former head of the Jewish Council on Public Affairs and former executive director of the Chicago Foundation for Women. She has a track record of involvement in countering anti-Semitism in the international context. Rosenthal, currently community outreach director at a Wisconsin firm, was traveling and could not be immediately reached to comment.

UPDATE II: An administration official said this sounds right, regarding Rosenthal.

Late Thursday UPDATE: Rosenthal memo to friends:

Dear dear friends –

I am thrilled to tell you of an exciting new adventure I am about to take… In the next few days, President Obama will announce that he has appointed me as Special Envoy for Global Anti-Semitism.. I will serve as an ambassador-at-large in the State Department.

So I am off to DC and I can let you know my new contact information as soon as I have it! You can always reach me at this email. I will be keeping the condo – Shira and JP are staying in it, and I will be back in Madison once a month to see family, doctors, and friends.

I am the luckiest person in the world – and just wanted you to know my news.

Be well,

Hannah



CLICK HERE TO GO BACK TO MAIN PAGE................or HERE TO GO HOME

No comments:

Post a Comment